The national average salary in the United States is $43,460, according to the National Compensation Survey. That works out to be $20.90 per hour. So in order to be above average, you have to earn more than $21 per hour. Why not be way above average and find a job that pays $10 more than the average hourly salary?
Bing: Fastest-growing careers
We compiled a list of 30 jobs that pay between $30 and $39 per hour, raking in a solid $62,400 to $81,120 annually. Take a look and see how your salary stacks up:
1. Purchasing agents and buyers, farm products, make purchases to get needed farm supplies at the best rates.
Hourly pay: $30.02
2. Multimedia artists and animators create special effects, animation or other visual images.
Hourly pay: $30.20
3. Loan officers evaluate, authorize or recommend approval of commercial, real estate or credit loans.
Hourly pay: $30.39
4. Arbitrators, mediators and conciliators help out with alternative resolutions to settle disputes outside of court. The
processes are less formal than a court trial.
Hourly pay: $30.41
5. Insurance underwriters review applications for insurance coverage and accept or decline them based on the degree of risk involved.
Hourly pay: $30.45
6. Diagnostic medical sonographers perform ultrasounds that physicians order for patients.
Hourly pay: $30.60
7. Film and video editors edit motion picture soundtracks, film and video.
Hourly pay: $30.62
8. Food scientists and technologists analyze the composition and properties of food.
Hourly pay: $30.95
9. Animal scientists study the life cycle and related biological issues of farm animals.
Hourly pay: $31.02
10. Writers and authors write material for scripts, magazines, books, websites and other publications.
Hourly pay: $31.04
Hourly pay: $31.10
12. Landscape architects plan and design areas for landscaping projects.
Hourly pay: $31.69
13. Accountants and auditors give financial advice based on accounting records.
Hourly pay: $32.42
14. Market research analysts estimate the business potential for an organization’s marketing and promotional efforts based on research they conduct in different markets.
Hourly pay: $32.42
15. Dental hygienists clean teeth and examine a patient’s mouth, head and neck for signs of oral disease.
Hourly pay: $32.63
16. Speech-language pathologists help individuals who have trouble speaking as a result of hearing loss, physical conditions or language barriers.
Hourly pay: $32.86
17. Nuclear medicine technologists work with radioactive materials and equipment used in nuclear medicine procedures.
Hourly pay: $32.91
18. Budget analysts examine budget estimates and analyze budgeting and accounting reports to ensure controlled spending.
Hourly pay: $33.29
19. Occupational therapists develop rehabilitative programs to help disabled people gain independence.
Hourly pay: $33.98
20. Geographers study the Earth and its land, features, inhabitants and phenomena.
Hourly pay: $34.33
21. Clinical, counseling and school psychologists diagnose and treat mental disorders; learning disabilities; and cognitive, behavioral and emotional problems.
Hourly pay: $34.77
22. Fashion designers create clothing and accessories, from shoes to clothes to jewelry and more.
Hourly pay: $35.78
23. Operations research analysts study management and operations issues through engineering and other scientific methods.
Hourly pay: $36.23
24. Sociologists study human society and social behavior.
Hourly pay: $36.63
25. Physical therapists develop rehabilitative programs that improve patients’ health.
Hourly pay: $36.64
26. Architects design buildings, homes and other structures for various clients.
Hourly pay: $37.93
27. Education administrators manage the everyday operations of educational facilities.
Hourly pay: $38.53
28. Environmental engineers study environmental problems and create solutions that governments and the general population can put into practice.
Hourly pay: $38.82
29. Civil engineers design and oversee the construction of large-scale public works, such as bridges, dams and airports.
Hourly pay: $39.03
30. Materials scientists research and study the structures and chemical properties of various natural and manmade materials.
Hourly pay: $39.59
*Salary information based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.